Monday, June 16, 2008

Bored

So, almost every night when Keeli goes to bed, I am so bored. Hunter works nights. Not just like a little into the night, he is sometimes not home until after 12:30am. And so I pretty much just sit in our room by myself and watch tv. And it gets SOO boring. What I need is someone who wouldn't mind coming over to hang out with me after the baby goes to bed. But it is hard to find someone like that when you have no friends. I mean, I have friends, they just all live far away. And it gets incredibly boring.
And yes, I could talk on the phone, but the baby sometimes wakes up and needs to be fed or rocked, especially when she is teething like she is now, so I have had conversations where I have had to put the phone down for like thirty minutes while I go tend to Keeli and by the time I get back, I have no idea where we were in the conversation. Not to mention it is ridiculous to ask someone to sit on the phone that long and wait. Also, I am not a big fan of the phone. I mean, it is fine, and I understand talking to people when you need to or because you can't see them, but I just get so tired of talking on the phone.
I would really like to play games or do something interactive, but once again, that requires people to play with. Everyone can laugh at me, but it is so hard not having friends. I mean, we have people in the ward here that we like, but we don't really hang out with them and we all have kids and babies and so no one can do anything once the kids go to bed. It just kinda makes me miss being single ONLY because then I could leave the house at night :)
It is also hard because we don't really have our own space. I mean we do, but it isn't big enough to invite people over to hang out. And so there you have it. I just sit in my room and watch tv. And don't get me wrong, it is as much my fault as anyone else's, but why is it that we have to grow up and have adult responsibilities?? I miss the days of just being able to play and have fun. If some of my friends didn't have to go to work early in the morning, I would make them hang out with me at night. Things just used to be so much more care free...
This stage in life is just so interesting. I mean Keeli isn't old enough to "hang out" with. I mean she is and I play with her all day, but she isn't old enough to play card games and board games with yet. And I am somewhat envious of those who have kids that are old enough to play games with. I think I would be less bored. It seems like we just go from one in between stage of life to the next. When we were in Idaho surrounded by people our age, our single friends from back here didn't like us because we were married and we didn't quite fit into our married friend's lives either because we didn't have kids like everyone else. And now that we have a kid, we just have no one to hang out with. Not to mention that Hunter works more than anyone should, so we wouldn't be able to hang out anyways. And I don't have any single friends that would want to "waste" their time entertaining me, when they can be out doing the things that single people do.
So what I have it boiled down to is, I am just not good at making friends. Most of my life, my friends were boys. And apparently when you are married you can't have friends that are male. Which has been hard for me because I didn't really have that many close girlfriends. And I understand why people get uptight about having friends of the opposite sex when you are married, but can't it just be a normal, platonic friendship?? I mean why couldn't I go have lunch with a guy friend I have known forever just because I am married?? The fact that I am married should make it even more okay. Am I alone on that?? Probably...
And since pretty much no one reads my blog but me, I will end the babbling for now.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Katie, I don't think that is true that you have a hard time making friends, you are just in a different very unfamiliar stage of life. Just wait until you have more than one child, you will NEVER be bored. I have to say I am envious reading this because you say you are bored, oh what I would give to have just one day of bordem. Hang in there girl, maybe try to enjoy those quiet moments since they won't last much longer. Love your guts.

Adam & Rachel said...

i read it...and i am sorry you are bored. some things i look to do with my spare time is paint my nails or work on angela's baby scrap book...and i am not a big reader but that is always good. these are just suggetions but i am sure you have probably already done them all. anyways...on the whole thing with being friends with the opposit sex and hanging out with them...um sorry cuz but i don't really agree with ya on that one. i think it just makes room for a potential problem down the road. however...if it makes you feel any better...i have never been much with friends at all. i have had friends but not really best friends...if that makes sense. adam is my best friend and when he's not around....i just find other things to do...but i also know that i have a tendensy to be a hermit and you are more of a social butterfly...so now that i have written a story i think i will stop. good luck...hope you aren't too bored tomorrow. :)

Beth said...

I always read you blog and I LOVE it! It makes me wish we lived closer together so we could hang out more! I know what you mean about being bored. When Austin was a baby, Travis worked nights and so I was home alone and very bored. I don't really remember what I did. I know I read the Harry Potter books because 4 of them were out at the time and I hadn't read any of them yet. Anyway, I hope you can find something to fill your time. I know you probably hate hearing this, but enjoy the boredom! I would kill for an evening with not much to do!!
One more thing, I think you are great at making friends. It's just hard to "hang out" when you have a family. And if it makes you feel any better, I am your friend :) Hang in there, things will get better!!

Jen said...

I prefer being bored to having a lot to do. You can come to my house and dejunk the place so we'll be ready to move before the baby comes. That's what I need to do at night and I just end up watching tv and laying on the couch. I'm so tired.

Misty said...

i'm your friend! =) It will get better!

anorthowife said...

i may not have a kid, but im right there with you... sometimes i think i have friends, but in reality, if i dont plan something, then people hang out and i get forgotten... i dont have kids and i only have 2 friends who are like me. everyone else has 1 and most of them are working on their second. ive been trying really hard and going out of my comfort zone and that doesnt always work... it's hard not having scott home every night and like you, i get bored and lonely so bad. ive even tried making friends with the uber mormon ladies and that doesnt seem to work because they do kid stuff and only talk about kid stuff. back in utah i had some guy friends that i would get together for lunch sometimes, and that was always really fun. i dont necessarily see a problem with it - scott never has. but now that im in stl, that all went away. if hunter feels comfortable with it, then what's wrong with you and Keelia getting lunch with a friend every blue moon?