Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vent

Can I just say that I HATE having to give Keelia her antibiotic everyday, twice a day? She hates it and she cries and I have to hold her down AND I am usually doing it alone. It is awful. She clearly hates the taste of it and it almost appears to 'burn' when it goes down. I think the only reason she is still taking it here on day 6 (today), is because I tell her starting ten minutes before she takes it and the whole time she is taking it that if she takes it, she can have a treat when she is done. So I give her m&m's or something as her treat. Seriously. I think that is the only thing keeping it alive. I just dread doing it everyday.
And now to the REAL venting...they gave her this medicine to clear up whatever bacteria she had that was causing her rash. Well, we all know that antibiotics cause loose stools and we have plenty of that here. But with Keelia having such sensitive skin, she now has your everyday, sore bottom, diaper rash. WHAT?? And the worst part is that before I even started her on the medicine, she had no signs of the rash that we were trying to get rid of in the first place. But it has been playing peek-a-boo for months, so I went ahead and gave her the medicine. And the original rash hasn't shown up, but now there is the diaper rash. And the WORST WORST (I know, you are thinking, can it get any worse? :) part is that the original rash wasn't bothering her at all, it just bothered me. But the diaper rash makes her cry every time I change her bottom.
Oh the joys of being a mom.

10 comments:

Beth said...

Oh I totally feel your pain! Austin was, and still is, the worse at taking medicine! I still have to bribe him and he is 7! (nowadays it takes money not m&m's)
I also hate having to give my kids medicine when I don't necessarily think it is necessary. I hope Keelia's bum feels better soon. Poor thing...
And we do need to get together again soon! I miss you!

Jennie said...

AS small and simple and common as a diaper rash is, I think it's one of the WORST things to deal with! It breaks my heart when your changing them and they are just bawling and in pain! I hate it! So I know what you mean! I have actually heard of antibiotics causing diaper rash. Just hang in there and keep reminding yourself its short term and wont last much longer!

Amy said...

I am so so so sorry, I know I've been giving Dallin medicine for his surgery and you'd think I was asking him to eat poo, sheesh! I forget with little ones how much harder it is. Hang in there, how much longer do you have to give it?

Korine said...

Exactly Katie. The joys of being a mom. Gotta love it.
Diaper rashes are the WORST!!! I would always stick the kids in a warm bath and then when I gooped them with ointment it didn't hurt so bad. Sorry you are going through this. Hang in there.

Misty said...

From a mom who knows (we just finished a 10 day course of antibiotics that he had to have FOUR times a day. It was ridiculous) here's a tip. Luckily Tyler likes medicine most of the time, but here is our trick for when he doesn't(you probably have one of your own). Try to imagine...I sit him on my left knee with his legs facing inwards. I tuck his right arm behind my back (between my left arm and my side), and I hold his other left arm with my left hand. Then, he has NO hands and I can use my right hand to put the medicine in. So, if you haven't figured out a way to do it...that works pretty well.

Also, I don't know if you have used Triple paste before, but Tyler had almost open sores on his bum one time (from an antibiotic loose stool rash) and that worked - so did the Aveeno diaper rash cream. hope that helps. good luck!

Jen said...

I'm so sorry she's in pain.

Misty, those are some great mom tips!

Kariann said...

Awww...I'm so sorry!! That is the worst!! Hopefully she is almost done and hopefully that sore rash will go away!! You're such a good mom though!! :)

Anonymous said...

sad day. i imagine diaper rashes hurt. i am 27 and STILL have to be bribed to take medicines.

Jannie said...

Oohhh, I hate diaper rashes...it's so sad. I hope things get better:( Keep us updated; you're amazing!

Nate and Kelly said...

so sorry to hear that! We use a great ointment that our pediatrician recommended-- it's called Calmoseptine. It's super heavy duty and can be a little hard to find (except our Costco pharmacy now sells it!), but it's been a huge life saver. It's listed as a moisture barrier-- and it works! good luck and hope you're both feeling better soon!!