Friday, January 23, 2009

My Blood Results Came In...

Well, my doctor's nurse called me with my blood work results. And they were normal. Which is what we expected. Now let me explain...
Hunter and I have been trying for baby number two for about 5 months now, to no avail. And I could just tell inside, that something wasn't right. We had no trouble getting pregnant with Keelia, and we weren't even "trying." So the fact that it wasn't happening, made me wonder. So when I went in for my annual GYN check up, I asked the doctor about the situation. Based on some of the facts that I gave him, he told me that I probably don't ovulate regularly, if at all. Obviously I ovulated at least once, because we have Keelia to show for it. :) But he did say I was lucky to have had her without any help from medications or anything. As you can imagine, my heart just sunk. Even though I knew deep down, something wasn't right, it just broke my heart to hear it. But I love my doctor, even though this was the first time I saw him, because he was very reassuring. He told me I could have as many kids as I wanted, it might just take a little longer than I would want, and I might need a little outside help. So what now?
Well, this last month, he has had me taking the at home ovulation tests. And I haven't ovulated, which is what my blood work confirmed today. And for anyone that has ever taken a pregnancy test and wanted a positive answer and has gotten a negative answer, that is what it is like EVERY morning, when the test shows I haven't ovulated, again. Needless to say, I won't be taking anymore this month, since my blood work came back. But I wanted to take the at home ovulation tests for my peace of mind. He also said my body might eventually ovulate, so if I wanted to, I could just wait and let it happen. But I am not one for patience, and I just feel right about taking the next step. So, starting in February, I am going to begin taking a medicine called Clomid. They say Clomid is the very first line of defense in infertility. It isn't a drug that makes you "drop" more than one egg a month, at least that is not what it is designed to do, but it can be a "side effect" of taking Clomid. It is a drug that helps people regulate their ovulation, which is what I need. And I am still learning about Clomid and am anxious to talk to my doctor more next week about it, but that is where this sits for now.
And this might not seem like too big of a deal to some, but it is to me. I mean not huge, but it has been a hard thing to come to grips with. I have wanted to be a mom and have a big family since I can remember, and it would just figure that I would have trouble accomplishing that goal. :) Hopefully with the help of this medicine, we won't have anymore trouble.
I share this only because it is a part of what we, as a family, are dealing with. Something I want to document in this online "journal," because it is the only type of journal I keep. Yes, I realize it is as public as can be, but most people who don't care, don't read it. And those that do, will understand.

16 comments:

Cierra said...

We're pulling for you guys! Let us know how the clomid goes, we're expecting you to have twins for sure now;) jk. But really, what a hard thing to have to go through, we are here for you guys when ever you need anything!

anorthowife said...

hang in there katie! i know things will work out for you guys!

Beth said...

Oh sweetie...hang in there. Everything will be okay in the end. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!!

Tory said...

It will all work out. Just be thanksful you like in an age when "outside help" is possible.

Tory said...

wow...i had a rough go of that one. :o)

Cali said...

I know how you feel. It took us six months to get pregnant with Katelyn and with cameron it took 4 months without counting the misscarage. 8 with a misscarage in teh middle. I know that hearing all the upbeat keep trying things get on your nerves. Like you are going to quit. You just need some one to understand and listen. It is one of those times where you notice everyone who is pregnant around you and those that complane and say that they want to quit trying at 2 months and you find out are pregnant a few weeks later just tick you off. It is so hard emotionally and I am there for you. If you need anyone to vent to I am here for you. I know what you are going through. It is so hard. It is so mentally draining! I hope the clomed helps.

Leslie said...

Kate, hang in there. I know this has got to be so tough. We're here for you.

Veena said...

Katie, I am really just like you (pretty much, I guess). Sam and Sara both came into my belly really easily, but then when we wanted to add another to our family it took about months. After a year of trying, we starting going to "specialist" and then finally we went on clomid. One month later I was finally pregnant and now we have Aaron because of it. I know how this can be a frustrating time because all you want to do is provide a loving home for another kid, so why should that be so hard? But hang in there, things do have a way of working themselves out.

Cardon Times said...

I'm sorry Katie. The Lord will provide. I know it is hard waiting when you are wanting something good. We will keep you in our prayers.

Tricia said...

I'm sorry to hear your struggle. If you need an opinion of someone who has used Clomid I'm here to help. Mitch and I tried for 2 years to get pregnant. After our miscarriage we finally went in for answers and got the same answer you did. I only took Clomid for 1 month before it worked for me. I also have a friend who didn't ovulate at ALL and it worked for her. In my personal opinion it was a great way to help things along without the huge expense and evasiveness. Good luck to you!

Adam & Rachel said...

Can I just say Amen...it is rough. Reading your post actually made me think that I may be in the same boat that you are since we do have some of the same genes and it took us almost a year to get pregnant with Angela. Ok I'll be honest...I decided to start doing the at home ovulation tests too, so that hopefully it wouldn't take as long this time around, and there aren't any positives over here. I just think to myself that even with Angela not coming when I wanted her to, I have realized that she really did come at the perfect time. I guess what I am trying to say is...the Lord is in control and if you trust him YOUR BABIES will come when they are ready. Good luck with the clomid--maybe that's something I will have to consider down the road.

Jannie said...

Katie, we will definately have to keep you in our prayers..I read what Tricia said and hope that you have the same sort of success story.

Sly Family said...

My younger sister has been trying for awhile to get pregnant and she did, but miscarried a few weeks later and since then she hasn't been able to get pregnant. As her big sis I ache for her because I know how much she wants to have a baby and it is frustrating because she should be a fertile machine... so I completely sympathize with you with a little empathy because my sister's pain feels like mine! I hope that everything goes your way and that your end result ends with a positive!!!

PS: Some of my fav 80s movies are Adventures in Babysitting and The Boy who Could Fly. There are for sure some awesome 80s movies out there!!!!

Amy said...

OH Katie, I know that you will be the best little mommy to LOTS of little kids. I know how hard it is, it took me a year with Tay, the first try with Dallin, and over a year with Mya so I really can feel your pain. Hang in there, things will happen, it just sucks to be patient huh? Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

what a rough trial. I can't imagine how that would feel...I have been told I dont ovulate either, so with my upcoming marriage it is scary since I am already 28. All I can say is that you are loved and being prayed for.

Kelly said...

Hey Katie! We are going through the exact same thing! We actually have been trying for a year and a half and started clomid a couple of months ago and are just waiting. I know everything will work out...it is just a matter of when. I just have to remember it's all in the Lord's time! I know exactly how you are feeling though and hope it will all work out for you:)