Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More Doctors...

Let me just start off by saying, I feel so bad for my baby girl. I know a lot of people's kids have acid reflux and maybe I just haven't heard the horror stories about it, but Keeli's just seems to be so bad. She has been on different medicines to try and "soothe" her since she turned 4 weeks old. Next week she will be five months old. That is a long time for a baby to be on medicines. And NOTHING has helped. I wish we had found her reflux sooner, because I don't think it would be as bad if it hadn't gone so long untreated.
So bright and early tomorrow morning I (...luckily my GREAT mom is going with me. Hunter has a test in school, so he can't come and I am too nervous to go alone...) have to take Keeli to a "GI Specialist." Keeli just isn't getting better and as the days disappear, so does my sanity. No one could really tell me what the specialist is going to do at her first visit, but apparently it is a series of five visits, so that sounds like fun. Keeli's pediatrician said there is a surgery for kids who just don't get better on their own and I am praying I don't ever hear about that again.
Her pediatrician has had her on Prilosec for almost 3 weeks and started her on Zantac yesterday as well, but since her first dose of Zantac, Keeli has done nothing but cry. A doctor at her practice assured me the Zantac wasn't making her cry, but that is the only thing we have changed in the last 36 hours, so Hunter refused to give it to her tonight. The sucky thing about the medicines is, she has to have them on an empty stomach and then has to wait thirty minutes after she takes them to even eat. So we are pretty much having to starve her, make her drink yucky tasting medicine and hold her while she screams about it for thirty minutes.
And with her crying constantly, her eight to nine hours of sleep a night have flown out the window, as has my chance of getting any decent rest. And I don't know about you, but the worst thing in the world is the newborn "I'm hurting" cry. It is awful and heart wrenching and I hate it. It makes me feel like a bad mom for not being able to soothe her. This is just harder than I ever could have imagined.
And the other hard part is I feel like I am making too big of a deal out of such a "common" problem, but Keeli is in SO much pain, I don't know how to not make a big deal out of it?! And I know it is just a stage and she will hopefully grow out of it by the time she is a year old, but what do I do for the next seven months...listen to her cry day in and day out? We will both go crazy.
Anyway, I guess that is it for tonight. It is getting late and we have a new doctor to meet in the morning. I will update tomorrow sometime after the appointment.

1 comments:

Cassie said...

That poor little girl! I feel so bad for you, i hate the pain cry i hope things get better soon