Happy 2011! Yes, we are alive. We had a wonderful trip home and I plan on posting about it soon. However, we got home late Thursday night and life has been a whirlwind since.
Friday morning we woke up and I promised myself we would unpack AND put Christmas away and be real people again on Saturday. Keelia woke up saying her ear hurt and she was more whiny than usual. So off to the doctor we went. Sure enough, an ear infection. I thought we were in the clear.
Well Sunday afternoon, one of her eyes started to look red and got kind of goopy. And Sunday night AFTER her bath, she coughed so hard, she threw up. So Monday morning I called the doctor to have her seen for pink eye. Sure enough. Another antibiotic to throw in the mix. But he said her ear was looking better with only three of the five doses of the first antibiotic. Which was good news.
Friday morning we woke up and I promised myself we would unpack AND put Christmas away and be real people again on Saturday. Keelia woke up saying her ear hurt and she was more whiny than usual. So off to the doctor we went. Sure enough, an ear infection. I thought we were in the clear.
Well Sunday afternoon, one of her eyes started to look red and got kind of goopy. And Sunday night AFTER her bath, she coughed so hard, she threw up. So Monday morning I called the doctor to have her seen for pink eye. Sure enough. Another antibiotic to throw in the mix. But he said her ear was looking better with only three of the five doses of the first antibiotic. Which was good news.
Well, we were walking from the car to our house, and Keelia was freezing. She refused to take her hands out of her pockets and she slipped going up the big cement steps from the street to our sidewalk. I thought for sure when I picked her up, I would see brains coming out of her head. That's how loud it was. No brains. But a HUGE goose egg on her head. Got her inside, iced her head. Then she fell asleep, which the nurse assured me was okay as long as we could easily wake her up. So after an hour, we tried. Not only could we not easily wake her, we could not wake her. FREAKED ME OUT. So after trying to reach the on call doctor and getting a busy signal (REALLY?), we headed to Primary Children's ER. Hunter and Hadlee stayed home. We are trying to keep Hadlee well in the midst of all this mess. (So far, so good.) Turns out after three hours at the hospital and one CT scan later, she has a concussion. But no brain or skull damage or bleeding. So that is good news. She didn't have an appetite all day and the doctors at the hospital okay-ed her to eat whatever she felt like. So what does any kid want after a trauma? A HAPPY MEAL. Well, she threw that up too. Apparently, not okay to eat whatever she wanted. Lesson learned.
So today, all she has had is water and toast. If I have to clean up puke, at least it will be clear-ish. Well, Keelia fell asleep on the couch, mid-sentence, earlier this afternoon. Which never happens. She is not a napper. But she woke up to pee and throw up, and is back asleep. Luckily, we were in the bathroom when she threw up, so we were able to catch it and not have to clean that up. Called the doctor, and apparently, with a concussion, this throwing up is normal.
I have done more puke laundry in the last few days, that I am actually excited for the ease of doing normal laundry. Which despite the amount of laundry I have done, is still continuing to pile up. Go figure.
Things I have learned...
-Don't let your kid get concussed.
-If your kid hates taking oral medications, chances are they are going to hate taking eye medications too.
-Not taking the said medications only results in not getting rid of the illnesses ailing your child.
-And several short-slept nights in a row and 20 loads of laundry in three days, results in me in my pajamas still at 4:24pm on a Tuesday.



6 comments:
I often stay in my pajamas all day just because. No judging.
I am so glad that Keeli didn't have a head bleed and only a concussion. And yes, throwing up is normal for a concussion. So sorry. Not fun to be dealing with so much sickness. If it makes you feel better, I have been cleaning up puke too...
oh poor Keelia! A concussion on an adult is rought enough. I know, because dan's had a few from rugby and he was throwing up and in so much pain. Hope your babe gets better soon--for your sake, also!
Oh my goodness that is awful!!! I am glad that nothing way bad happened when she fell...I know how that feels from experience...pure terror!!! Sending good vibes your ways!!!
Oh man! I'm so sorry you've had a rough few days! I hope everything is on the mend now.
It was great seeing you and your cute family while you were here!
I am relieved to learn there were no brains on the sidewalk (that wording made me giggle right outloud in the midst of a not so funny story). Poor little girl. Kids and the ER are no bueno. I hope all is better now and i am going to take to heart the lessons you have learned.
love you always.
xoxo
Post a Comment